[Sca-cooks] SCA Chef's 58 varieties

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 4 16:03:32 PST 2002

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> There's also a totally non-period "dariole" recipe kicking around in
> the SCA; it was sort of grandfathered into the Middle Ages by Esther
> B. Aresty, IIRC (See "The Delectable Past"), because it was similar,
> in her opinion, to medieval darioles. It involves, essentially, a
> sweet cream-cheese mousse poured into pre-baked tart shells, and is
> very, very, good, but seems to be 18th or 19th century.

I think there may be another of these 'Grandfathered' recipes, though I
have no idea where it came from. We had here in An Tir, a
somewhat-dinsaurish Laurel, who sometimes ran a cook shop at events.
Mind you, I have seen him maybe five times in the past ten years,
including 3YC. He sold something he called darioles. They were a sort of
stiff paste made of meat and fruit, wrapped in dough and baked. They
were about the size and shape of a good-sized yam. To sell and serve, he
cut off slices, which looked something like biscotti but were very dry
and crumbly.

A meat and fruit filling to something is plausible, and wrapped in dough
maybe. But I don't believe I've seen a recipe that looked like it, and
certainly called Darioles. My dariole recipes are filled with custard,
and there was no custard in those. Any ideas? Is there a random cookbook
out there with a collating mistake or pagination error? Or does anyone
know a recipe by another name that might be it? I've just been curious-
I'm not interested in the hassles of running a cookshop or anything...

'Lainie