[Sca-cooks] Looking for a recepit

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Mar 4 11:46:20 PST 2002

>Greetings,
>
>I am looking for receipts that prominently feature Anise Seeds (not in
>comfit).

Ask and you shall receive. I do like having things available in
machine searchable form. But I'm afraid the anise isn't really
prominent in any of them. And it isn't always clear if its the seeds.

The Soup Called Menjoire
Taillevent p. 112

First you need the necessary meat-Peachicks, pheasants or partridges
and if you can't get those, plovers, cranes or larks or other small
birds; and roast the poultry on a spit and when it is almost cooked,
especially for large birds like peachicks, pheasants or partridges,
cut them into pieces and fry them in lard in an iron pan and then put
them in the soup pot. And to make the soup you need beef stock from a
leg of beef, and white bread toasted on a grill, and put the bread to
soak and skim the broth and strain through a sieve and then you need
cinnamon, ginger, a little cloves, long pepper and grains of paradise
and hippocras according to the amount of soup you want to make, and
mix the spices and the hippocras together and put in the pot with the
poultry and the broth and boil everything together and add a very
little vinegar, taking care that it just simmers and add sugar to
taste and serve over the toasted crackers with white anise or red or
pomegranate powder.

---

How You Want to Make a Food of Hens
Daz Buoch von Guoter Spise p. B-7 (#28)

This is called King's Hens. Take young roasted hens. Cut them in
small pieces. Take fresh eggs and beat them. Mix thereto pounded
ginger and a little anise. Pour that in a strong pot, which will be
hot. With the same herbs, which you add to the eggs, sprinkle
therewith the hens and put the hens in the pot. And do thereto
saffron and salt to mass. And put them to the fire and let them bake
(at the) same heat with a little fat. Give them out whole. That is
called King's Hens.

---

Flampoyntes Bake
Two Fifteenth Century p. 53
[funny symbol should be a thorn]

Take fayre Buttes of Porke, and seþe hem in fayre Watere, and clene
pyke a-way þe bonys and þe Synewes, and hew hem and grynd hem in a
mortere, and temper with þe Whyte of Eyroun, and Sugre, and pouder of
Pepir, and Gyngere, and Salt; þan take neyssche Cruddis [soft curds],
grynd hem, and draw þorw a straynoure; and caste þer-to Aneys, Salt,
pouder Gyngere, Sugre; and þan take þe Stuffe of þe Porke, and putte
it on euelong cofyn of fayre past; and take a feþer, and endore þe
Stuffe in þe cofyn with þe cruddys; and whan it is bake, take Pynes,
and clowys, and plante þe cofyn a-boue, a rew of on, and rew of
a-nother; and þan serue forth.

---

Recipe for Oven Cheese Pie, Which We Call Toledan
Andalusian p. A-64

Make dough as for musammana and make a small leafy round loaf of it.
Then roll it out and put sufficient pounded cheese in the middle.
Fold over the ends of the loaf and join them over the cheese on all
sides; leave a small hole the size of a dinar on top, so the cheese
can be seen, and sprinkle it with some anise. Then place it in the
oven on a slab, and leave it until it is done, take it out and use
it, as you wish.
---

A Dish of Pullets Suitable for the Aged and Those with Moistnesses

Clean a fat pullet and put in a pot and put with it the white part of
onions, soaked garbanzos, pepper, cumin, caraway, anise, oil and
salt. And when it boils, throw in rue and cinnamon. When it is done,
cover with many eggyolks and pounded almonds and clove and lavender,
and ladle out and serve.
---

All but the last of these are in the Miscellany, webbed on my site.
There are a few more in the 13th c. Andalusian cookbook (where the
last one came from).
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/