[Sca-cooks] Cook's guilds

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Mar 5 15:48:04 PST 2002

Arte wrote:

>My Caidain Laurel, Mistress Huette and I (I believe she is one of three
>cooking laurels) have been talking about a cooks guild here.  Maybe, huh?

One suggestion. If you start a cook's guild, make it clear that it
exists to learn about period cooking, not to put on feasts. Otherwise
people will feel that becoming part of the guild amounts to
volunteering to help cook a feast--and there may be lots of people
who would be interested in period cooking but not in putting on
feasts.

Of course, people who are putting on feasts can always go to the
guild for recipes, ask the guild to research recipes from some time
and place, ask if any guild members want to help cook, etc.

Short of starting a guild, you might just put on cooking workshops
along the lines of the ones we do. Someone selects some period
recipes from primary sources, prints them out, does the shopping.
People arrive at one or so on a weekend and spend the afternoon with
each person cooking one recipe, keeping track of what he does so it
can be replicated if it worked or used as a basis for the next try if
it didn't. Experienced people can advise inexperienced, but part of
the idea is for people to find out that they really can work out a
recipe from the original.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/