[Sca-cooks] Sous Cheffery

Kim Schab madchefla at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 10:38:52 PST 2002

And that is why I said that Avraham is a kind person.
I've been cooking in the SCA for a long time and there
are cooks here that are every bit as "my way or the
highway", really I KNOW best as IRL.  Whether their
skills merit it or not.
I do understand the time constraints issue and have
been known to use certain pre-prepped items for a
feast.  However I choose to do things like use
pre-peeled carrots rather than forgoing flavor for a
base or gravy mix.
I'm used to dealing with volunteers from the SCA and I
will always appreciate any help that I may get, no
matter the skill level (I've taught people in my
kitchen everything from knife skills to bread baking).
 The fact that someone is willing to volunteer, often
to basically miss the event and spend all their time
with me and mine in the kitchen is a blessing I am
never willing to discourage or turn away.  I also make
sure that I train new kitchen help to be able to do
these things on their own.  You see, I have a
dream....one day I'll just go to a feast and not be
cooking :)  It is just a dream.

Alessandra

--- Randy Goldberg MD <goldberg at bestweb.net> wrote:
> > Certainly, that is the ideal, but in this
> instance,
> > Avraham apparently knew that she was going to use
> > boxed gravy mix at the last minute. The time to
> > suggest that a Head Cook should use a different
> > ingredient is NOT in the final stages of feast
> prep,
> > particularly if said Head Cook is holding sharp
> > cuttlery ;-)
> >
> > I don't know why Avraham didn't know until the
> last
> > minute- perhaps he didn't volunteer until after
> > everything was planned, or perhaps it was a
> > misunderstanding similar to the one Adamantius and
> > had. But, he did the right thing by doing the best
> he
> > could with what he had.
>
> No, actually, I WAS in the planning, and knew about
> it right off. I voiced
> my objection to it from the first planning meeting,
> and was told, more or
> less, "We don't have the time, the money or the
> staff to do it any other
> way." When I tried to suggest ways to handle it, the
> subject got changed.
> The subtext seemed to be "You're new and you don't
> really live in our
> territory, so just shut up and do what we tell you."
> Which is why I won't do
> ANOTHER feast for them. And told them so.
>
> Avraham

=====
"Optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell

Always remember, stressed is just desserts spelled backwards :)