[Sca-cooks] Cariadoc quandry

jemoore at firstam.com jemoore at firstam.com
Thu Mar 14 13:53:10 PST 2002

Galingale =  Alpinia officinarum Hance, Zingiberaceae. The dried rhizomes
are used as a spice; the flavor is a cross between ginger and pepper.
Galingale is available whole or in powdered form, and may be found in
oriental grocery stores; buy the powder.  (TTEM)  Prescott (after Grieve)
recommends substituting a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger .  A.k.a.
greater galangal, called laos in Indonesian, lengkuas in Malay, and kha in
Thai

http://www.thousandeggs.com/glossary.html#G

Not sure about saunders though