[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Tue Mar 19 13:58:56 PST 2002

You want gas. On the other hand, if you live in earthquake country,
electric all the way would be my choice.

That said, I'd look for either a medium-grade new gas stove or a vintage
gas stove.

The "pilotless" ignitions use electricity. So if you live where the
power goes out often enough to be predictable (every time the wind blows
over 10 mph, for instance or your area is prone to ice storms), you will
probably want a stove with real pilot lights.

Be sure the oven is big enough for your biggest roasting pan + contents.
I've had to do my 20# turkeys in shifts before . . .

My gas oven "self-cleans" every time I turn it up to 450 degrees F. I
CARFEULLY pour about a cup or so of water on the heated oven floor and
let it boil off. I don't care about the walls.

A hood. A good one. Wasn't there a discussion on this list of home much
air (measured in cubic feet per minute) a good hood should move?

My ceiling isn't black from the lack of a hood (may I respectfully
suggest that condition comes from gas burners that need
cleaning/tuning?), but every time something odorous gets cooked in the
oven, the upstairs bedrooms reek of it for days. The best one was when
the fish liquid boiled over the casserole and charred on the oven floor
. . .

Venting into your garage is probably against local building code. If you
self-install or have someone do it without checking code, you may be
unhappy with the results. On the other hand, venting into the garage is
better than not venting at all . . .

Good luck!

MD/Marged
Whose gorgeous vintage stove is sitting in her Mum-in-law's garage
waiting for the new house!