[Sca-cooks] gas grills and marshmallows

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Mar 19 20:54:21 PST 2002

Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:

> I'm currently experiencing one of those pregnancy irritations that
> nobody ever tells you about until you have it, and then everybody says
> "Oh, yeah, that's really common."  Pregnancy induced carpal tunnel
> syndrome.  Never had carpal tunnel problems before.  It's not
> manifesting itself as pain, but rather numbness, particularly my
> fingers.

Ow. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that.

They didn't really call it that when I was having kids or apprenticing
with the midwives- but they did mention similar happenings. Usually one
or both of two causes- either water-retention-type swelling is putting
pressure where it doesn't belong, or the swelling of everything due to
increased hormone activity, also putting pressure. I didn't have hand
problems then, but I did have to loosen my watchband, and for a couple
of months my contacts didn't fit. Soft lenses, no less. And no, salt
restriction doesn't change anything.

I had some serious problems with numbness and tingling in my hands and
feet recently. (Hard to run a bath or shower without hurting yourself
when you can't tell the water temp.) Turned out to be the new meds I was
on- stopped them and hand my hands back in just a few days.

Be thankful that pregnancy is a self-limiting condition. ;-)

'Lainie