[Sca-cooks] gas grills and marshmallows

Tara Sersen Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Wed Mar 20 08:21:40 PST 2002

> Ow. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that.

Thank you.  It's not too bad, just frustrating.  I notice it in any fine
task, like writing or knitting, but it's not debilitating or painful.
Just annoying.

> They didn't really call it that when I was having kids or apprenticing
> with the midwives- but they did mention similar happenings. Usually one
> or both of two causes- either water-retention-type swelling is putting
> pressure where it doesn't belong, or the swelling of everything due to
> increased hormone activity, also putting pressure. I didn't have hand
> problems then, but I did have to loosen my watchband, and for a couple
> of months my contacts didn't fit. Soft lenses, no less. And no, salt
> restriction doesn't change anything.

I've had a lot of water retention (but no high blood pressure or
anything else scary.)  The midwife told me the tendons that form the
carpal tunnel soften along with your other tendons from the relaxin
hormone, and then the pressure from the water puts pressure on the
nerves inside.  Not a half hour before burning myself, I thought, "Boy,
I have to be careful.  I would have no idea if I laid my finger on one
of these hot pots or nipped one with a knife."  Fortunately, it hasn't
affected my contact lens fit.  I did have to take my wedding and
engagement rings off about three weeks ago.  I feel like strangers are
now looking to see if I'm married when they notice I'm pregnant, and I
can't wear my rings ;)

> I had some serious problems with numbness and tingling in my hands and
> feet recently. (Hard to run a bath or shower without hurting yourself
> when you can't tell the water temp.) Turned out to be the new meds I was
> on- stopped them and hand my hands back in just a few days.

Fortunately, it's usually only the tips of my fingers that are bad!  At
worst, it's my whole thumb through ring finger, but my pinkie and palm
are still fine.  So, I can tell things like water temperature.  I have
trouble picking up tiny things like pins, though.

> Be thankful that pregnancy is a self-limiting condition. ;-)

Gonna be limiting itself pretty darned soon, too :)

-Magdalena