[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stove info wanted

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 19 23:10:22 PST 2002

Sandra Kisner asked:
> I haven't done much looking yet, but I=
>  think all the gas stoves I've read about have electronic ignition, so no j=
> erky on the pilot.  :-(   Does an electronic ignition mean that the burners=
>  won't light if the power is off?  Could I use an old bunsen-burner lighter=
>  (or a match)?

If the electricity is off or if the stove is unplugged, you are
correct, the electronic ignition will not work. Right now, my stove,
gas dryer and electric can opener share a two plug outlet. So,
sometimes the stove loses. :-)  In that case, no "click" and it
doesn't automatically light.

However, a match or a cigarette lighter will work well enough.

Also, if one burner is already going, this is often enough to
start another burner without using a lighter.

The electronic ignitions do mean that you save the expense of
running a pilot light.

Currrently I've got to replace some of the knobs on my gas range
because the oven one in particular no longer has the proper 'D'
shape and 'off' is not always off. I consider $15 per knob to
be a bit steep. That's what I'm seeing on the web appliance part
places. For some reason the knobs for the electric stoves are
more common in the retail store(s).

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net