Seder, was Re: [Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Mar 21 06:17:35 PST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Also sprach A F Murphy:
> >Well, the disagreement is right in the Bible. The Synoptics are pretty
> >clear that it is the "Passover Meal" as my translations phrase it, but
> >John is caught up in the symbolism of Jesus as Paschal Lamb, and says he
> >died on Preparation Day. So... you take your choice. Most people I know
> >of think it was a Seder, but it can't be proven.
>
> Tradition does state that it was a seder. I don't see much point in
> worrying too much about the math, and whether this all took place
> between Thursday night and Sunday morning, any more than worrying too
> much about whether Jesus was actually born on the night of December
> 24th. Details like this seem, in my own experience, to be the fodder
> of people who have no real, basic faith. Never mind the fact that if
> the Catholic Church (or anybody else, for that matter), were still
> burning people at the stake, this Catholic would probably be on one
> right now.
>
> Adamantius (not an Origenist, despite the name-- rather a Pellagian)

Before Avraham gets to it... ;-)

One of the Four Questions is, more or less, "On other nights we don't even
dip once. Why tonight do we dip twice?" Now, before people get really
confused, remember that Jesus said that his betrayer would be the person
who dipped at the same time that he did [Matthew 26:23].

Thusly, if there was dipping going on, that suggests that it was a
Seder. Also, there is a certain amount of evidence to suggest that this
was a special meal, as there was effort expended to rent a room in which
to have the meal.

Me, I'm just annoyed that Thursday is my birthday and I can't have a
birthday cake this year. :-(

Margaret, who was also a Bible History major