Seder, was Re: [Sca-cooks] FW:request for recipe(s)

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 07:53:18 PST 2002

--- "Pixel, Goddess and Queen"
<pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:

> Before Avraham gets to it... ;-)
>
> One of the Four Questions is, more or less, "On
> other nights we don't even
> dip once. Why tonight do we dip twice?" Now, before
> people get really
> confused, remember that Jesus said that his betrayer
> would be the person
> who dipped at the same time that he did [Matthew
> 26:23].

OK, exactly what is dipping? Ceremonial dipping of
bread into wine? And why and how would this be a
symbolic act, at least for the Jews?

I mean, my usual bedtime ritual lately is a couple of
chocolate chip cookies dipped in a cup of milk, and
frequently I'll do the same with coffee, but there's
no significance to the act beyond the fact that I like
coffee or milk flavored cookies.

I really would like to understand, and I really wasn't
raised in any of the traditions most closely
associated with people of the book. My readings of the
Bible have touched on many of the better known
passages, but I've never seen anything that has
convinced me that "This is the ONLY way, there is no
other", although I find it very interesting as poetry,
and a spritual and emotional history of many of my
friends, including Jews and Christians. I too have
faith, and morals, but they're based on observed fact
and logical ethics, rather than the writings of any
man or men.

> Thusly, if there was dipping going on, that suggests
> that it was a
> Seder. Also, there is a certain amount of evidence
> to suggest that this
> was a special meal, as there was effort expended to
> rent a room in which
> to have the meal.

OK, this makes sense, at least for helping to indicate
a holiday. Is there any indication that the Apostles
might have been, um, editing the facts, so that the
entire thing might have been more emotionally
satisfactory to Jewish believers? Significant
discrepancies on this matter, between the several
writers who witnessed the life of Jesus in the first
few books of the New Testament? I tend to discount the
writers who came after a bit.....

Phlip

Phlip

=====