[Sca-cooks] Beef stew- redaction question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 25 18:47:36 PST 2002

Eight ounces to four pounds depending on the quality of the flour used and
the type of loaf being prepared.  Manchets were commonly "eight ounces in,
six ounces out" or one pound loaves.  White breads would normally have been
baked in one pound loaves to meet the Assize.  Brown bread would usually
have been one or two pound loaves with some specialty breads running up to
four pounds.

Try one pound of bread.

Bear