[Sca-cooks] Beef stew- redaction question

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 19:10:54 PST 2002

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Eight ounces to four pounds depending on the quality
> of the flour used and
> the type of loaf being prepared.  Manchets were
> commonly "eight ounces in,
> six ounces out" or one pound loaves.  White breads
> would normally have been
> baked in one pound loaves to meet the Assize.  Brown
> bread would usually
> have been one or two pound loaves with some
> specialty breads running up to
> four pounds.
>
> Try one pound of bread.
>
> Bear

Well, we were making enough for two people, so I was
using a half pound of bread to the available meat.
Can't really see that more bread would help, but I can
try it next time.....

I was thinking that maybe the texture of a modern soft
whole wheat loaf might be the problem- maybe a harder,
drier bread?

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,