[Sca-cooks] KFC:::was::::Re: bread bowls

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 26 22:38:25 PST 2002

> Also sprach BaronessaIlaria at aol.com:
> >  > the KFC box or (if you remember them, the barrels)
> >
> >Back in the ancient times, they had boxes, then buckets, then barrels.
> >Chicken for everyone!
> >
> >Ilaria
>
> What's the difference between a bucket and a barrel? I remember
> buckets as being sort of large, truncated paper cones with an inset
> bottom, sort of like what a pint of chi-chi ice cream is packed in.

Oops. You two have better memories than I do. You are correct, what
I was thinking of is as you describe it Adamantius, and was known as
a "bucket" rather than a "barrel".

> Of course, KFC is a relative newcomer, as are most fast food chains,
> to the NYC area. (I'm interested in all the obscure chains that have
> come and gone, or failed to take hold, some of them pretty good...)

Like Roy Rogers Roast Beef, that I think must have got bought out
by Arby's. But it was better. And I remember a nice Fish and Chips
place. The first time I had malt vinegar. I wish I could get some
nice fish and chips around here, with or without the fake British
veneer.

> again, we've had real pizza pretty much since WWII or before, so
> it is not without compensation.

And your definition of "real" pizza is?

> And I STR we had Chicken Delight when
> I was a kid, not that it's something my parents would have spent
> money on.

Was this simply a fried chicken place? Or was this some kind of
Oriental Chicken one?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net