[Sca-cooks] Calm down folks - was I quit

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 12:46:22 PST 2002

--- Brandy Collins <brandy.collins at probes.com> wrote:
> I didn't say it didn't belong here.  If you'll read
> my posts.

Yeah, I know guys, this sounds funny coming from me,
but not if you realize that my tendency towards
aggressive posts comes from passion and caring, not
nastyness and anger.

First off, Brandy, while your intention may have been
questioning, your post appeared to be ordering us to
cease and desist. When people are in the heat of
indignation, they tend to react aggressively to a
perceived wrong- Gunthar does it to me about once
every 6 months or so, because he reads my frustration,
rather than my actual words. Please try to relax- if
you want to leave the List, that's your choice, but I
suggest you stay, and learn.

Secondly, durn you, Mostly Hatless Muiredach, you've
been around, and you're passionate about the cause of
disabled folk, but you can't expect Rome to be built
in a day. It is NOT a concerted effort to deny crips
access, but rather a series of misunderstandings on
both sides, and you really need to express some
patience.

I don't think anybody would say, "Let's get this site
so crips can't play", but rather they're looking at it
from the POV of "Oh yeah, that's a cool site, and it's
cheap" and not much beyond that- most of us are AB (or
TAB, as you tend to say ;-) and we're just not used to
thinking in those terms.

And this kind of thinking infects you, too. For all
that you're such a strong advocate, and sometimes come
off as "Super-Crip", occasionally you do a very human
thing, and look at things in the context of your own
needs. Doesn't mean you don't care, just means you're
human, just like the rest of us. If you recall,
recently, I mentioned that I had a motor for my canoe,
and you posted me privately, calling it sacrilege,
because canoes should be paddled by hand, utterly
forgetting that my usual companion had had a stroke,
and was very limited on one side. Of course I cackled
at you ;-), and I think you had to remember that not
all of us have the same abilities, even within the
disability community.

Similarly, when I was looking for advice about setting
up our Pennsic bathroom and kitchen for Handicapped
access, you again looked at it in terms of what _you_
needed, and not in terms necessarily of what _any_
disabled person would need.

Hey, Dear Friend, guess what? WE'RE ALL HUMAN!

This being said, now let's try to calm down, and see
what we can do to rectify the situation.

First off, you need to control your temper and your
passion. I can guarantee you that if you started
yelling at me that I _HAD_ to arrange our camp for
Handicapped access, I'd tend to either ignore you, or,
if you made me angry enough, set things up so ABs had
access problems, let alone crips ;-)

And, let's look at the applicable rules. Yes, US law
says some things, but if it applies only to other
situations, it ain't going to do you any good. I liked
the posting from the guy who looked into _KINGDOM_
law, and found out who _IS_ accountable for access.
Working with that person will do a lot more good, than
not. Rather than worrying about laws, which are more
of a PITA than a help anyway, let's look at what we
can do to solve the problems, rather than try to
legislate them away.

And, relax a bit, Muiredach. We will do the best we
can to help, but give us some time for folks to
understand that there really _IS_ a problem, and then
we can work together on solutions.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,