[Sca-cooks] Another gimp's view

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 22:52:51 PST 2002

--- upsxdls_osu at ionet.net wrote:

> Dear Cat Wrangler (or should that be "Strangler"
> today?)
> I've read most of the posts about handicapped
> issues. I know I have problems
> ambulating from place to place. And steps up or down
> can cause me problems on
> some days. But our camp at Pennsic tried to
> accommodate my handicap. (I still
> want grab rails in the shower!)

Yeah, and you would post this where I can't even
rudely speculate why ;-)

> But if a guy on wheels can use it, most anyone else
> can, too. (Worst case
> scenario theory). Did you know there are handicapped
> porta-johns available? One
> was ordered up for an event I attended here in
> Ansteorra. Who should I contact
> to encourage the Pennsic crew to look into getting
> one or two for this year?
> Maybe I could even talk them into placing them
> closer to our site.

Actually, they have them all over site.... up in the
merchant area. The Handicapped coordinator is:

Thorolf Egillsen <thorolf at optonline.net>

> I would remind some 'youngsters' there may come a
> time due to accident or
> illness accessibility may become an issue for you
> personally. I never expected
> to be unable to walk for miles, up and down hills
> and stairs, etc. Just one
> quick slip on grease in the kitchen of a friend, and
> I have never been the
> same. Do I want to be dependent on someone to help
> me all the time? No! I'd
> rather learn to work around my problems.

Oh, trust me, I understand. I've never had what might
be called a serious injury, but I've screwed up my
back and knees enough, that some days I have real
trouble doing anything, although therapy and sheer
stubborness have gotten me off pain pills, and I can
do a lot of stuff most of the time. But, people not
seeing me in a chair, or with some other obvious
assistance device just don't realize that Today, I'm
NOT going to carry that whatever. Honked off some
Chirurgeons one time, because I wasn't willing to load
and unload water jugs, but I had reason to believe I'd
need my back the rest of the day- normally, I'd have
gone and helped.

Oh well, I know what I need to do, and if other people
want to cop an attitude without finding out why,
that's their problem.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,