[Sca-cooks] Peers, Pressuring the BoD

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Mar 29 07:52:01 PST 2002

I agree with Rosine, here. In my area, sites are a real mix of
accessible and non-accessible (camping sites being the worst, although
we always do a mix of regular and handicapped portajohns).  We don't
have anyone at the moment who wears a wheelchair, although we do have a
few people who walk with aid (canes and such). However, we could easily
get someone at an event from out of area with additional needs, and it'd
sure be nice to know what we can do to make them feel welcome, as well
as not dependent on asking folks for help with everything.  What I would
really appreciate, as local Seneschal and occasional event Steward, is a
companion article to that described below, in which were given simple
solutions to *make* a site more accessible, even if only temporarily.
Simple diagrams for ramps, for instance (including things like the best
angle for them), and ways to make feast tables accessible, and bathrooms
and such. Even things like making kitchens more accessible (no way to
lower stoves and countertops, but how about ways to add features that
would make it easier to participate in food prep?). That way, any
concerned individuals could contact the event steward before the event,
much as people with food concerns now contact the feast steward, and
appropriate arrangments could be made if needed.
I think someone like Muirdeach would be in a perfect position to write
articles like this (Yo, Gorgeous, are ya listening? ;-)--he's got
personal experience both in the SCA and as someone who's had to learn to
deal (personally and professionally) with accessibility issues.  Sounds
like a great couple of TI articles or even a CA to me.....<g>
--Maire, who wants everyone to feel at home....