[Sca-cooks] Stuffed Cabbage - Hulapchas

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 14:21:46 PST 2002

--- "Harris Mark.S-rsve60"
<Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com> wrote:
> Devra the Baker gave a recipe for a stuffed cabbage
> roll. I'm
> not sure if I've ever had one and after seeing
> several recipes
> here I'm thinking I might try these sometime.
> However, I
> have a few "Stefan" questions.
>
> -------
> My Dear Old Grandma Anna's Recipe, as recorded by my
> mom Fritzie
>
> 1. Strip leaves from cabbage, being careful not to
> damage them. Cut tough rib
> from leaf, but don't cut into leaf.
> -------
>
> I assume this stem/rib extends up into the leaf. Do
> you mean just
> cut the stem off at the base of the leaf? Or cut
> along the rib so
> that it leaves a channel cut out of the leaf?

Neither, actually, Stefan. The outside of a cabbage
leaf has a rib which projects above the surface of the
leaf, when placed flat down on its inner side.
Basicly, you use a knife, cutting parallel to the
cutting board, to move any of the leaf above, say, 1/4
inch above the cutting board. It's a lot easier to
show you than tell you, but it basicly allows you to
roll the leaf up evenly.

> 2. Put leaves into boiling water and steam abt 5-10
> minutes, until soft
> enough to roll.  Don't overcook!
> -------
>
> Since these are put into the water, isn't this
> boiling the leaves
> rather than steaming them? Or are these leaves
> really supposed to
> be put in a basket over the water in the steam
> rather than in it?

Up to you, actually. The idea is to soften the leaf
enough to be able to roll it without breaking it. You
don't want to over cook it, either, because then the
leaves will fall apart, and rather than discrete
bundles, you'll have a pile of odd-shaped meatballs
and disintegrating cabbage.

> 4. Carefully roll meat in cabbage leaves, folding
> over like a blini.  Leave
> on platter while you prepare the bed.
> --------
>
> I'm not even sure I've seen a blini, must less made
> one. Someone
> please describe this folding.

Sorta like making an envelope. Fold up the bottom over
the meat mix, then fold the sides in evenly, then roll
the whole thing up, leaving it to rest on the "flap".

> 6. Put rolls into pot carefully, and boil 3/4 hr.
> --------
>
> This time, this means boil in the water, correct?
> Should the
> water cover the rolls? Halfway up? I assume the
> rolls are
> stacked on their ends.

Depends if you have enough to firmly fill the pot-
otherwise they'll disintegrate.

My usual method is to lay them flat in a baking pan,
flap edge down, cover with sauce, and bake. If I were
boiling or steming them, I'd likely lay them out flat
again, loosely but firmly piled.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,