[Sca-cooks] Stuffed Cabbage - Hulapchas

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri Mar 29 14:37:18 PST 2002

> Up to you, actually. The idea is to soften the leaf
> enough to be able to roll it without breaking it. You
> don't want to over cook it, either, because then the
> leaves will fall apart, and rather than discrete
> bundles, you'll have a pile of odd-shaped meatballs
> and disintegrating cabbage.

In the last few years, my grandmother decided she didn't have the
strength to roll all those cabbage leaves, so she started making "mock
stuffed cabbage". Same sauce, same meat mixture. She thickly slices
cabbage (about 1/2 thick), makes the meat into meatballs (little ones,
no bigger than an inch), and simmers the whole thing. Tastes just as
good, and a HECK of a lot easier.

Avraham