[Sca-cooks] SPIROL CUT HAM

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 31 05:25:37 PST 2002

Also sprach Seton1355 at aol.com:
>--
>OK, this Jew has to know  (I've lead such a sheltered life, dontcha-know?)
>
>I've been hearing on television ads about Spirol ham or spirol cut ham.  Now,
>I know there is a little doo-hickey on the market that sort of looks like a
>mini-wrench with which you can make a spirol cut on a vegetable such as a
>potato or carrot and end up with one long spirol-y strip but why would you
>want to do this with a ham?

As Baron Sieggy states, it's a way to compensate for the inadequacies
of the average modern carver and stretch the meat a but by providing
nice, thin, even slices. It also leaves the illusion that the meat is
still whole, as it is still partially attached to the bone. It also
allows for some glaze penetration, so it's fairly tasty as commerical
products go. Not unlike the carved-and-put-back-on-the-bone turkeys
that many Kosher delis sell for Jewish holidays (do they do that
outside of New York City?)

Adamantius