[Sca-cooks] Whole to ground spice equivalents

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Mar 31 06:13:35 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/31/2002 1:49:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> Still hoping someone will take a shot at the cinnamon (stick vs. spoon)

Me, I'd like someone to tell me how to translate saffron threads into
teaspoon measures...I have a number of recipes that say 1/8 or 1/4 tsp
saffron.  I know people who have ground saffron (well, it says it's saffron,
but it's in massive quantities, like a tub that you'd get for 1/4 lb potato
salad, and only about $4, so I'm not sure it's really saffron - even if it is
from an Amish-run store), but I don't, and I just sort of look at the amount
of food and say, that looks like about enough saffron.
For that matter, how do you decide how many threads you have?  Some are
broken, some are thick, some are thin, and there nearly always seems to be
something that calls for 2-3 threads saffron that I end up putting about 8
in.
I realize that using saffron to my taste is probably more period anyway, but
it might be helpful for initial test cookings and stuff.

Brangwayna