[Sca-cooks] First attempt at redacting Founet (FoC)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat May 11 17:10:36 PDT 2002

Greetings!
  I made a first attempt at redacting this today in preparation for an event
in June.  I think it was rather successful, but would like any input anyone
has.

Founet.  Take almaundes vnblaunched; grynde hem and drawe hem vp with gode
broth.  Take a lombe or a kidde and half rost hym, other the thridde part;
smyte hym in gobetes and cast hym to the mylke.  Take smale briddes yfarsyd
and ystyued, and do therto sugur, powdour of canell and salt.  Take yolkes of
ayren harde ysode and cleeue a two and plauntede with flour of canell, and
florissh the sewe above.  Take alkanet fryed and yfoundred in wyne & colour
hit above with a fether, and messe it forth.

Founet.  Take unblached almonds; grind them and draw them up with good broth.
 Take a lamb or kid and half roast him, or a third; smite him in gobbets and
add him to the milk.  Take small birds stuffed and stewed and do thereto
sugar, powder of cinnamon, and salt.  Take hard-boiled egg yolks and cut them
in two and (powdered) with flour of cinnamon, and flourish the broth above.
Take alkanet fried and (soaked) in wine and color it above with a feather,
and so serve it forth.

2-2.5 lb boneless leg of lamb
0.5 cup unblanched almonds
3 cups chicken bouillion (yeah, I know it's not "good broth", but I had it on
hand)
2 quail
4 cloves garlic
approx 1 tbsp mixed dried rosemary, parsley, sage, and chives
0.5 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tbsp sugar
2 hardboiled egg yolks, cut in half

I roasted the lamb at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, then allowed to cool and
cut it up into small pieces.  While it was roasting, I made almond milk with
the almonds and bouillion and put it into my Dutch oven.  I put the cut meat
into the almond milk and turned it on to start to simmer, skimming as
necessary.  Meanwhile, I cleaned the quail and stuffed them with 2 cloves of
garlic and half of the spice mixture each (this is based on the stewed
pigeons recipe from the same source; it says to stuff pigeons with peeled
garlic and chopped herbs).  I then put the quail in to simmer as well, and
let it simmer for 50 minutes.  I added the sugar and cinnamon about 5 minutes
before the end of the cooking time.
To serve, I placed a spoonful of the lamb next to each quail, dotted the half
egg yolks on top, and sprinkled the yolks with a little more cinnamon.  I
didn't have any alkanet or food coloring, so skipped that part.

I should probably have added the sugar and cinnamon earlier, to spread the
flavor a bit more.  The flavors of the herbs and garlic were subtly evident
in the breast meat of the quail, but not the legs.  Overall the entire dish
was slightly sweet and good, but in a very quiet sort of way.

For the feast, I envision the lamb in the center of a shallow dish with four
quail per table of eight spaced around the outside, probably with greens
round the outside.  Egg yolks powdered with cinnamon dotting the top, and
streaks or patches of red from the alkanet.

Brangwayna Morgan