[Sca-cooks] First attempt at redacting Founet (FoC)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 11 23:23:08 PDT 2002

Brangwayna Morgan gave a recipe and her redaction for "founet".
>   I made a first attempt at redacting this today in preparation for an event
> in June.  I think it was rather successful, but would like any input anyone
> has.
>
> Founet.  Take almaundes vnblaunched; grynde hem and drawe hem vp with gode
> broth.  Take a lombe or a kidde and half rost hym, other the thridde part;
> smyte hym in gobetes and cast hym to the mylke.  Take smale briddes yfarsyd
> and ystyued, and do therto sugur, powdour of canell and salt.  Take yolkes of
> ayren harde ysode and cleeue a two and plauntede with flour of canell, and
> florissh the sewe above.  Take alkanet fryed and yfoundred in wyne & colour
> hit above with a fether, and messe it forth.
>
> Founet.  Take unblached almonds; grind them and draw them up with good broth.
>  Take a lamb or kid and half roast him, or a third; smite him in gobbets and
> add him to the milk.  Take small birds stuffed and stewed and do thereto
> sugar, powder of cinnamon, and salt.  Take hard-boiled egg yolks and cut them
> in two and (powdered) with flour of cinnamon, and flourish the broth above.
> Take alkanet fried and (soaked) in wine and color it above with a feather,
> and so serve it forth.

An interesting sounding dish. However, I have one of those "Stefan
classification" type questions.

What is a general term for such dishes? It's not really served like
a stew. It's large chunks of stuffed and stewed birds really don't
fit that category, either. So where would you classify large chunks
of meat and birds covered in sauce, but previously roated or stewed?

In other words, if YOU were looking for such a dish to find the recipe,
or redaction, where would you look?
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net