[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1964 - 13 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed May 29 06:01:47 PDT 2002

White sals is wonderful stuff. MAde it twice for pennsic. Once last year for
my middle eastern duck fest and once two years before [when we realized that
the hummus we brought had gone...funny and was inedible. The stuff we made
for last year we made at home and I brought down for the second weekend when
I drove down. The stuff we made at pennsic was fun. We pounded the walnuts
in heavy plastic bags with hard objects in lieu of an actyal mortar and
pestle setup. Was fun, although hard work, and pointed out why you would
sing rythmic working songs ;-) Of course it wasn't quite work, but well
worth the results ;-)
margali
We used Ras, Elysant and Puck's recipe.

the quote starts here:
The surviving Middle Eastern recipe closest to modern
hummos-bi-tahini is Sals Abyad (White Sauce) which is a spiced
mixture of ground walnuts and tahini. While the original is
identified as a sauce, it doesn't say what it would be served with.

I hope this is of some help. If someone discovers another recipe that
is closer to hummos-bi-tahini, i'd love to see it, as it is a
favorite of mine, too.

Anahita