[Sca-cooks] Tornadoes in Maryland

Wed May 1 07:39:55 PDT 2002

Two miles is just bothersome.  Scary is when you can see or hear the thing
up close and personal.

About two years ago, an F5 made a trip from Chickasha to Tulsa.  It passed
through the subdivision where my Mother lives.  She wound up with a damaged
turbine vent and a couple loose shingles.  Along her street the only damage
was some fallen tree limbs.  Three blocks north or three blocks west there
was nothing but rubble.  She was less than 1000 feet from one of the ground
points of the storm.

When it happened, I was in a laundromat watching the storm on TV.  Just as
it headed into Moore towards my Mom's house, the transmitter got knocked out
and went off the air.  I couldn't tell what had happened until several hours
later.  Fortunately, her telephone was still working and I could check on
her, but it was three days before I could get into her house with spare
batteries and a propane stove.

You're fortunate not to have been closer.

Bear