[Sca-cooks] modern feast menu omissions

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed May 1 11:22:40 PDT 2002

> They don't just chuck out a basket of rolls, everything you get is listed on
> the menu - frex the cajun chicken alfredo lists that it comes with a piece
> of tost, anything extra costs.

*nod* but on the other hand, I think our records of period menus come
mostly from what people wrote down afterward about what they had, which
might bias the information.

For instance, most of Menagier de Paris's menus don't mention bread,
either, but we know bread was served pretty much universally. And if
anyone has any insight on this cryptic note on a wedding feast, from the
Hinson translation:
"Platter: butter, none because it is a meat day. Item, cherries, none,
because none could be found; and so no platter."

I'd love to hear!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa