[Sca-cooks] Spring plantings

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue May 7 05:48:48 PDT 2002

I haven't really planted much at all...but still have hopes that I'll be
able to get some herbs in.  With all of the truck farmers in the area, it's
actually easier and quite reasonable to buy fruit and veggies from them...we
get them the same day they're picked, and they are local.  Also, we're
trying to support local farmers as they get out of farming tobacco!!!  What
I have planted is 3 paulownia trees.  Not food, I know, but very ornamental,
once they get a little larger.

Funny thing...they are considered to be weeds, almost, here...they grow
almost everywhere...except in my yard!  For a number of years, I've tried to
figure out how to get a couple (they cant on my name...the Japanese word for
paulownia is "kiri"), and the closest I came to now was when the Md. Dept of
Agriculture offered to sell me 1000!  Understandable as it is also a great
money crop.  What I finally wound up doing was ordering them from
California!!!  But we have them now, and they're doing great!

Kiri