[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Wed May 8 11:52:22 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 12:25 pm, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> >non-Europeans - and well, that's what I joined the SCA for - to recreate
> >"European cultures from the fall of the Roman Empire through the 16th
> >century".)
>
> Whatever you are quoting, it ain't SCA Corpora.

This notion probably comes from the "Brief Introduction to the Society for
Creative Anachronism", in the official documentation at www.sca.org.

It seems to boil down to the implication that the SCA is "set" in pre-1600
Medieval Europe, while at the same time explicitly mentioning that non-
European personae are allowed (but implying that the context of the persona
would then be a "visiting foreigner")

"These activities recreate aspects of the life and culture of the landed
nobility in Europe prior to 1600 CE.[...] For example, you can be and Asian
or African guest at a European court [...] like any long-term visitor in
a foreign land, you are the one who will have to adapt to the customs
you find around you."

( http://www.sca.org/docs/govdocs200201.pdf , "page" 7 [the introduction])

My PERSONAL opinion is that while the uncharacteristic frequency with which
non-European types show up at events does tend to slightly "disrupt" the
"Medieval Europe" gestalt that the SCA is officially going for, the
educational value of a well-done "non-European visitor" persona and/or
encampment makes it worthwhile...