[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Wed May 8 12:09:29 PDT 2002

> In both cases the rightful Emperor being whoever your
> commanding officer is...

Dang right. And it gets those pesky Romans out of our area for a while
(actually, of course, my father and I are quite aware that without the Army
our lovely home and style of living wouldn't be possible, but it would be
nice to be a little self-directing. And as for Roman ideas about women!
Well! I like the food, the clothes are comfortable, but this "Stay in your
own area" stuff.... humpf!

> >non-Europeans - and well, that's what I joined the
> SCA for - to recreate "European cultures from the fall
> of the Roman Empire through the 16th century".)
>
> Whatever you are quoting, it ain't SCA Corpora.
> Which is not to say I entirely disagree (nor agree,
> entirely), but I'm curious as to where this idea comes
> from. You may be mirroring some kingdom policy, but
> not that of the SCA, AFAIK.
>
> Adamantius, Romanized Island Empire person

   It's a mish-mash of Copora and that ever-quoted Chatelaine's Friend - the
SCA Handbook. And I admit that I opened a powder keg with my wording, since
the official policy gives no beginning date (although the restriction given
in the wording should indicate a beginning date, at least to those who study
history). And truth to tell, I liked Japanese culture long before I found
the SCA and enjoy studying other non-European cultures too. It's the "I want
to dress in a choli, or be a member of the Chinese Court, or a member of
Sulyman's Court and dress that way too, even 'while being a visitor to
Europe'" that is bugging me. Not bugging me a lot, and certainly not enough
to be rabid about it, but more with a sense of sorrow for what we're losing.
We're losing medieval Europe. We're losing that romantically-induced dream
of the Golden Age of Chivalry. We're becoming a "culture" if you will, of
"anyone who might have existed anytime, anywhere before 1600, or anyone who
wants to bang folks with sticks, or bang drums, and is willing to wear
something remotely "oldish" to do it in".
   Once, I reveled in the variety of  cultures within the SCA, but now, it's
like anything and everything is not only tolerated, but encouraged. The
first piece of advice I was given when I found the SCA was "don't base your
persona on a freak" - and they meant "someone who couldn't justifiably been
a part of European culture" - now it seems "don't base your persona on
anything European" is becoming the norm.
   Change will always occur. It's what keeps an organization alive. But I
can foresee a time in the future when I may well have to choose to quit the
SCA and find some other place to spend my weekends, and well - I would mourn
my loss.
   And on the other paw (there's always another paw), I'm seeing more and
more people devote themselves to doing *good*, really good, historical
recreation. A friend in my area spins, weaves, sews and lets me embroider
all her gowns, all with documented sources for each step so she can truly
appear to be a woman from the Orkneys in 900 or so. That's exciting to me.
Here, on this list, I've learned what a poor feast cook I am, simply because
I haven't progressed past "an attempt at pre-17th century" cooking - I cook
far too much that is in the questionable grey area. But here, I am learning
how easy and how available better and even tastier recipes can be found.
   So there's a polarization that's occurring. I'm kinda caught in the
middle - too many of my friends are either dedicated researcher/reenactors
or else "here for fun/easy going" players (this is not to say that the
researchers aren't also fun and easygoing), and all of them are people who I
love and would miss.

   My Goodness, I've built/painted/reinforced/ and am now standing on a
soapbox! Somebody help me down! (I had no idea it was bothering me so much.)

Rosine