[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Wed May 8 13:09:53 PDT 2002

rosine at sybercom.net writes:

> It's the "I want
> to dress in a choli, or be a member of the Chinese Court, or a member of
> Sulyman's Court and dress that way too, even 'while being a visitor to
> Europe'" that is bugging me. Not bugging me a lot, and certainly not enough
> to be rabid about it, but more with a sense of sorrow for what we're losing.

But what if the other side was presented. What if I suddently became King of
Atlantia (fat chance anyways but hey, I can dream. Vivat to the Dream! :D)?
Then it would be a lot of Europeans visiting a Japanese court in Japan. If
you want to think it in the way you are, a Japanese man became king in
Europe. See my thinking? You don't always have to base it in Europe. I see a
lot of new people chose Europe because they've been taught that Europe was
the powerhouse in Medieval Times. Wrong! Mongolia and China was flourishing
under the Khanate. Japan was flourishing and so was its samurai caste.
     Another reason why people chose Europe is that 98% of the players in the
SCA are caucasian, which means they have European blood in them. Some may
feel that they have to be somewhat "loyal" to their blood. Another reason is
that finding info on European personae is easy as heck! I bet you could find
100 Celtic pages over 5 Mongol pages.
     Now there will always be people who pick European personae. I really
don't think that the European influence will disappear or change that much.
Its just that some people like to break from the norm and go and research
other cultures. I chose Japanese and broke away from the European norm is
that: A)I love Japanese culture  B)I wanted to be different   C)I look great
in a kimono :D (Well, maybe not for C, but hey!) And I think my interest in
Medieval Japan will help me contribute a lot in the SCA. Heck, i've started
to plan on how to make my first Shogi set (Shogi=Japanese set). If I do well
on my first set, I may make more to help spread the Japanese culture in the
SCA.
    I guess i'm trying to say is that change is good and that change is
needed if an organization like the SCA will thrive. Ok, now to get off the
soapbox

Ryojiro
Nibbling on some Fig Newtons