[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)/aside to Rosine

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Wed May 8 14:24:09 PDT 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002 16:09:53 EDT XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com writes:

>But what if the other side was presented. What if I suddently became
>King of
>Atlantia (fat chance anyways but hey, I can dream. Vivat to the Dream!
>:D)?
>Then it would be a lot of Europeans visiting a Japanese court in
>Japan.

     As an oldish Atlantean and an old Black Diamonder (in dan shaku
fujin Maroe-sama's words)  I can say, having witnessed it in Black
Diamond, we've had a Japanese King, with a Chinese Queen.  Who were
crowned in Black Diamond, at a typical 'Scadian' coronation.    Who
presented the coronets of Black Diamond to Takenoshita Naro no Kami sama
and Maroe sama (And I am Euro-centric; please forgive me if there are
spelling errors.  They're mine!)  All this occured (gulp!) 15-16 years
ago.

    The SCA has alway embraced the curious.  It is the strength and the
weakness of the group, and as such, not something I would change.  The
relationships I have formed and the things I have learned, I don't want
to give up.  I am in the SCA 'cause sometimes I want to be a Viking
widow, and sometimes I want to be a 14th century English widow.  There is
no other group that I can do this in.  But sometimes I want to hang out
with just Vikings--they do really cool stuff (like re-enacting Lief
Erricson's landing at L'Anse Aux Meadows).   So I re-enact--and as an
aside, Rosine, I know of a re-enactment camp commander who's begging for
Celts in his Isle of Man group...

    I decided, a long time ago, in a far-off Barony that was heavily
Japanese-influenced at the time that I am an immigrant  (from Man, or
Maldon) to the Kingdom of Atlantia, and now the East.  These kingdoms
each have different laws and customs from  my home.  I have tried to
learn these customs with greater or lesser success, and to try to pass on
the things I have learned to others.  That's my compromise.

   Elizabeth