[Sca-cooks] Japanese (was: What did they..)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu May 9 07:02:49 PDT 2002

I agree.  I feel that I see more of that sort of thing than I do of the
barbarian banging his fist on his chest and introducing his slave girl.  I
see guys who say they're doing an early period persona because they don't
want to be bothered to try to do something more than a t-tunic.  And make no
bones about the fact that they do the SCA simply to hit people with sticks.

I do have a European alternate persona, and I think most folks would agree
that they see far more of Dame Eleanor than they do of Kiri...I actually
enjoy both.  I've taught courses at University on Gothic Cathedrals as often
as I've taught about Japanese culture.  I really want to see whatever
persona is done, done well with a reasonable attempt at research.
Obviously I have no problem with non-European personae...what I do resent is
having a person dressed ina  t-tunic, jeans and Doc Martens telling me that
my Japanese persona doesn't belong in the SCA!
(And no, Rosine, I'm not talking about you...and you know it!!!!!)

Kiri