[Sca-cooks] Stewing a turkey

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 10 05:46:50 PDT 2002

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>Can someone give me guidelines as to how long it would take to
>stew a turkey breast in the 6-8 pound range?

_Some_ people have already given you good advice on this. [Harumph!]

FWIW, I would have figured that if you're doing essentially a pot
roast, then that's how long it'll take: about 20 - 30 minutes per
pound. Turkey is tougher than chicken, and if you're using Kosher
turkey, it can be a little tougher still, not being pumped full of
all those loverly chemicals.

The Joy of Cooking (one of the older, sane editions) recommends 2
hours or more for a 5-6 lb. stewing hen or small turkey, jointed.

Maybe the thing to do is allow three hours, and it might take less than that.

Adamantius Classic