[Sca-cooks] Mongol garb & stuff

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 11 14:57:17 PDT 2002

Also sprach Wanda Pease:
>I didn't mean to get into this but this post pushed me too far.  So, if I
>don't know much about period Swiss does this mean that I can sell dirndls as
>"Period" because they exist in Switzerland (some of it) now?  After all they
>_are_ traditional!  Surely peasants wouldn't have changed much in 500 years.

I think those were my words that did the pushing! ;-)

Of course, I didn't say Puppy was selling traditional items as
period, I just know he sells traditional items, and they may or may
not have changed over the last 500, or however many years. But I
wasn't accusing anybody of irresponsible merchanting or even
irresponsible research, so much as just saying I didn't know how much
research he has done. And we have plenty of people selling all kinds
of non-period traditional doodads: he is certainly no worse than the
people that sell folding Opinel jackknives for feast gear (lovely
utility knives, BTW: 25 million Frenchmen can't be wrong!).

My suspicion is that things probably _have_ changed in Mongolian
traditional clothing over the past 500 years, but that the untrained
eye might not notice some of the changes. My lady wife has been doing
Mongolian for quite a while, too (~17 years), and she seems to have
spotted some differences, but, again, the differences probably aren't
glaring except to another Mongol ;-).

Adamantius