[Sca-cooks] Period Hollandaise?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat May 11 17:55:54 PDT 2002

El Hermoso Dormido asked:
> On Friday 10 May 2002 12:17 pm, Philippa Alderton wrote:
> > I had made up my
> > brains in a Hollandaise-type sauce, from the same
> > lamb. Period recipes, too....
>
> Okay, I have to butt in and ask about the sauce now - what
> region and time did the period Hollandaise-type sauce come from
> and how did it differ from "modern" hollandaise?

I'm not sure it was a period sauce.

> (I seem to recall that there are one or two surviving late-period
> recipes for emulsion-type sauces...is this one of them?)

Are you thinking of gravy as one of those? If so, see this file
in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not medieval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/gravy-msg.html

For recipes for the various organ meats mentioned, and more, see
this file:
organ-meats-msg   (72K)  2/11/02    Period cooking of organ meats.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/organ-meats-msg.html

For a number of these exotic meat recipes, check this file:
exotic-meats-msg  (75K)  2/18/02    Period and SCA exotic meats. Swans, ostrich,
                                       crawfish, dormice, cat.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/exotic-meats-msg.html
or
horse-recipes-msg (24K) 12/14/01    Period horse recipes. References.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/horse-recipes-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net