Pennsic potluck (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Period Hollandaise?)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun May 12 07:55:54 PDT 2002

On 12 May 2002, at 7:38, Philippa Alderton wrote:

[quoting me]
> > I was glad it proved useful.  That was my first
> > SCA-Cooks potluck,
> > and I was feeling very insecure about my measly
> > offering,
> > especially when I saw the feast-like abundance
> > spread upon the
> > table.

> Well the idea is NOT to intimidate anyone, the idea is
> to get to meet everyone, and share good food.

I know, and that's certainly how I regarded it the following year.
But at that time, I was just very conscious that I was bringing food
to a gathering of the cooking gods of the SCA.  And I'm shy.

Now I feel much more comfortable.  I can also credit this list (and
those potlucks) for curing any residual peer-fear that I once had.

> Any
> tasty contribution is welcome- I particularly enjoyed
> the stuffed grape leaves, canned, that Margali had
> left behind for the potluck, when she couldn't be
> there last year.

Yes, but now my personal vanity impells me to bring something
that I've redacted.

> We really need to start planning for it this year,
> folks. Are we getting an A & S tent? Or shall we do it
> at Orluk? Whjich day? Who will bring paperware? Like
> that....

There are things to be said for both approaches.  Doing it in a
camp makes it easier to cook things, and to warm them.  Doing it
in an A&S tent makes it less like a private party, and more
accessible to the cooks of the Known World, including those who
are not on this list.

> Phlip

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net