[Sca-cooks] Hagen on cardamom/grains

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun May 12 16:23:24 PDT 2002

Jane Williams wrote:
> Ann tells me she simply relied on McKendry as a
> reference. These days (it was published in 1995,
> remember, and written earlier) she is more inclined
> to doubt McKendry as a reliable researcher.

McKendry's Seven Centuries/700 Years/etc. came out
originally in 1973. It should be remembered that this
is the cookbook that uses cream of potato soup to create
a tri-color medieval soup.

> Are there articles where all this has already been
> explained that I could print out for her? Any other
> suggestions?

There a number of things on the web about Bede--
searching under google ("venerable Bede" death )will
give you 3300. You can narrow from that.
Remind me in June after I get done with a commitment
for 1 June and I will do some additional searches for
you. Accounts of his death vary somewhat as to what he
left. We should be able to find the Latin version somewhere.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis