[Sca-cooks] It's Kristianne!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 12 21:51:58 PDT 2002

Kristianne said:
> I'm going to pick up some lamb tomorrow and try various
> lamb jerky recipes.  Alan says he'll taste stuff <g>

I don't think I have any jerky recipes specificially for lamb, but
you might find some of the comments and suggestions in this file
useful:
drying-foods-msg  (46K)  5/10/02    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/drying-foods-msg.html

Please let us know how the lamb works out.

>  On another note I just purchased the cutest little pot bellied grill at
> Cost Plus World Import Market (dangerous place) and also purchased a terra
> cotta drip plate and a terra cotta pot.  I'm thawing out some bread dough as
> we speak and if all goes well I'm going to try to bake bread in this
> contraption.  It goes like this, fire up charcoal in cute grill, put terra
> cotta drip plate and pot upside down on drip plate on top of the grill....
> heat up to a goodly temperature and then plop round bread dough loaf inside.
>
> Cross your fingers folks, I've never even read of anything like this so it's
> a grand experiment.  Might get bread, might get brick, never know!

Folks have talked about baking things in similar ovens. Perhaps some
of their comments might help:
camp-ovens-msg    (51K) 10/19/00    Small period and SCA camp ovens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/camp-ovens-msg.html

For a bunch of useful breadmaking info, mostly from Bear, check the
files in the FOOD-BREADS section.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net