[Sca-cooks] Introduction and Question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 12 22:02:10 PDT 2002

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
> > However.... I did just vist the Andulasian cookbook (Thank's Cariadoc) and
> > believe I might fiddle with either the root syrup or the mint syrup and see
> > if I can come up with one that works for me with less honey/sugar.
>
> With a lower concentration of sugar, syrups won't keep. What you want to
> do is go on drinking tisanes, as they can be documented to period even in
> Europe. When I get a chance I'll check through my sources for particular
> mentions of infusions of herbs.

If the concern is the amount of sugar *at the time of drinking it*, you
can always make it up at full strength for storage, and then just
dilute it to suit your tastes. The amount you dilute it is up to
personal tastes, and may in fact vary in the same individual from
day to day or when drinking it at night around a campfire compared
to on the hot battlefield during the day.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net