[Sca-cooks] Introduction and Question

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun May 12 22:10:01 PDT 2002

Kristianne commented:
> I'll probably still sneak my Chai in the A.M. but weren't tisanes more
> medicinal than anything else?  i.e. not commonly served with a meal, etc.?

We have a much sharper line today between food and medicine than they
did. If your physician thought that the tisane would help balance
your humours because you tended toward one, then I can well see where
you might be drinking it at a mealtime. So, that could be your excuse
if you think you need one.

Unfortunately, while I have some information on the humours and
humoral theory, I don't think I've got anything specifically on
various tisanes and the humours. For that matter, my file on
tisanes is rather small. So anyone that has any information on
tisanes in period, I'd like to hear of it.
humorl-theory-bib (16K)  1/ 8/01    A biblio. by Thomas Gloning on the period
                                       theories of humors and dietetics.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/humorl-theory-bib.html
humorl-theory-msg (37K)  5/10/02    Concepts of medieval Humoral Theory.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/humorl-theory-msg.html

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net