[Sca-cooks] Re:sugarpaste was newbie and help needed

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 14 10:06:20 PDT 2002

If you will go to:
http://www.netcolony.com/arts/mkcooks/index.html
and click under articles you will find
Queen Alys's article on sugarpaste.
"SUGAR PASTE: A Cook's "Play Dough"
By Elise Fleming is also in Stefan's
Florilegium  and was reprinted as part of
Compleat Anachronist # 109.
See http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-paste-msg.html
for the comments on sugarpaste.
HRM Alys notes that she had managed to make
some goblets in one of the comments, although I'm sure that she
would tell you that flat plates and flatter
objects are easier. Weather is a big factor
when working with sugarpaste. If you mold on the
outside of the object also, that removes the problem
of getting the paste out of the glass or mold.
Yes you can paint on the paste. HRM has a scrapebook
of photos of objects she made and then decorated.
There are instructions in her article. [I find that
commercial food colors work best and present good
workable colors.] Some prefer to use period plant
coloring agents. See CA # 109 for more details.

Hope this helps--

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

I have begun experimenting with