[Sca-cooks] newbie and help needed

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 12:09:20 PDT 2002

>On Tue, 14 May 2002 16:20:36 +0000 anna lichorad <alichorad at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>"One other question, does anyone paint on the sugarpaste or do most people
>leave it as is? Thanks in advance."
>
>Isbelot de Forenz
>(mka Anna Lichorad, MD)
>
>HM Alys Katherine is the sugarplate expert on this list, but I think I can
>answer your second question.  The recipes I have seen for sugarpaste call
>for the colors (if any) to be added to the dough.  One recipe (might be
>from one of the post-period  sources) had flat rectangles of sugarplate in
>different colors rolled up together, then sliced, making multicolor
>pinwheel patterns.  But if you wanted to do some detail work, I don't see
>why it wouldn't be possible to paint sugarpaste.
>
>Brighid ni Chiarain

It is true that HM Alys Katherine is the expert here.  I play with
sugarplate some.  I have had success by dusting the surface of the bowl or
cup to be formed on with corn starch.  Also, I have painted on and stenciled
on sugarplate using both the dry colour powder mixed with a bit of vodka
(instead of water as a medium) and also the gel colours.  You can mix in
different spices, etc to colour the paste as well as give it a bit of
flavor.  Good luck!
Olwen