[Sca-cooks] "The Brask Menus" - what's this term mean?...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 15 17:16:54 PDT 2002

Also sprach El Hermoso Dormido:
>I was looking at "The Brask Menus" (Scandinavian - menus from some
>feasts that Bishop Brask apparently served in the 1500's, it would
>appear).
>
>The translator is evidently unsure what "sodh" was (and I sure as
>heck don't know)...
>
>Anybody have any idea?  I notice it's always served with some sort
>of meat or fish, and it doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the "fast
>days" menus - is it perhaps some sort of sauce made from meat or
>drippings?
>
>(The Brask Menus that I'm looking at are at:
>http://www.bahnhof.se/~chimbis/tocb/recipes/menus/brask/index.html )
>
>Just wondering if anybody knows...

There's nothing under "sodh" in the Swedish section of the dictionary found at:

http://brunnur.stjr.is/interpro/utanr/thm.nsf/pages/290287F9FE36E55B00256768004DBC82

But the Icelandic section has so(eth), with one of those non-ascii
characters replacing the (eth), meaning "broth". It may mean what in
period English recipes is called "seyme" or pot liquor. In other
words, X in its own broth.

Adamantius