[Sca-cooks] Cheese & coolers

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 06:51:04 PDT 2002

--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Along those lines, I have a question that I hope
> won't upset anyone.  As we
> have multiple cats, we purchase cat litter in the
> large economy-size
> containers.  Of late, we've been getting a variety
> that comes in a container
> that would be perfect to put water in for freezing
> and drinking later (at
> Pennsic).  If I were to thoroughly clean these
> containers, using clorox or
> something similar to make sure I've gotten any
> nasties out, is the container
> itself food safe?   I've searched the can thoroughly
> and can't find a
> statement either way....

Well, you're looking at two issues, Kiri. The contents
of a cat litter container are basicly clay, with some
various deoderants and fragrances. Cats are very
highly sensitive to almost any chemical- if it's safe
for cats, chances are it's safe for humans- barring
any oddball allergies, and assuming you didn't put the
used litter back in the container ;-)

As far as the container itself, I think there are
mysterious code marks in plastic, which will tell you
about the product (usually a circle-type mark) which
is coded. You can check that against a list of the
same things.

An alternative is to ask the manufacturer, of
course....

I would tend to think that it was food safe, because
cats ARE so sensitive to strange stuff- I have one of
the plastic 2 1/2 (app) gallon litter containers I've
been using for water for quite a while, and I'm no
crazier or sicker than usual ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,