[Sca-cooks] Period cooking and camping

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Wed May 22 09:47:12 PDT 2002

Greetings to the List,

When I camp, or take food to an event off board, I try to prepare things
that fit into my persona's reality. This means mostly English, late
16thC. I have no trouble making a late 16thC Italian or Spanish or
whatever recipe, if I am confident that the ingredients were available
to me.

This brings up a point we miss a lot in historic foodways - what foods
were available at what time of year. Fresh pork is not a summer meat,
for example. Suckling pigs were already eaten (being a Spring "crop"),
and mature hogs were not butchered until after frost. Preserved pork can
certainly be on the menu, but no chops, roasts, fresh sausages, etc.

What do other folks know about seasonal foods for their time and place?

MD/Marged
thinking of food available in August in a hot climate