[Sca-cooks] OK - Need recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 24 10:39:03 PDT 2002

Also sprach johnna holloway:
>Found several... on the web...
>what bothers me is that I have had this but
>European cookbooks are boxed...
><snip>
>Marilyn Traber wrote:
>>  Baron Salamallah used to always serve this raspberry and death by dairy
>>  drink/cold soup at simple fair, the name sounded like 'rururur' Anybody have
>>  any idea what it is/was?>
>>  It is something on the order of blended together raspberries and
>>  strawberries, heavy cream, light cream, sour cream and cholesterol in mass
>>  quantities. I think it is supposed to be germanic or scandinavian?
>  > margali

I just remembered... could this be rommegrot (the "O's" are slashed,
as in Ostgardr, Margali)?

Rommegrot is a starch-stabilized sour cream porridge or pudding,
from, I believe, Norway. You whip together real whole milk, sour
cream, and enough flour to thicken, cooking and stirring constantly
while it thickens and gives off a lot of butter fat, which you skim
off and reserve. You then add the butterfat back onto it when
serving, and it is often served with berries, apparently. I forget
whether it is sweetened.

I'm not sure if it is intended to be eaten hot or cold, but I suspect
warm would be best. I assume it would fulfill the cholesterol
requirement, as well as being of Scandinavian origin and sounding a
bit like rururur.

Adamantius