[Sca-cooks] Rodgrod, was OK - Need recipe

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 11:55:36 PDT 2002

Duh! I can do Rodgrod! Or Rodgrod med Flode, meaning Rodgrod with cream.
 (All those 'o's should be slashed - I don't know how to do that... but
that makes them sound more like ... well, I don't know an English
equivalent, I've been saying this sound all my life, though probably not
correctly... but it isn't an o. I can see how it could be remembered as
a "u" or an "eu")

This is really more a pudding than a soup or drink, but the name sounds
right.

OK, this is out of my mom's Danish cookbook (written for foreigners in
1950), that she bought when we lived in Copenhagen (which I was too
young to remember.) It makes a huge amount, and I am copying exactly...
I've never actually made this, though I'd like to try it.

Rodgrod med Flode

1 2/3 lbs red currants
1 2/3 lbs raspberries
8 cups water
1/2 cup potato flour (or cornstarch)
Vanilla
Cut Almonds

(They don't say cream, but yes, cream, as a garnish - it is in the name
of the dish! And sugar...)

Wash the currants and raspberries, add water, and boil. When all the
juice has boiled out, remove the berries from the fire, force through a
fine sieve or a cloth, and put the juice back into the pot. Sweeten to
taste, and thicken with the potato flour or cornstarch, using 1/4 cup to
every 4 cups of juice. If potato flour is used, be sure to have the
juice boiling hot when it is added, and to take the juice off the stove
while adding the flour. If potato flour boils, the jelly will be "long"
- a sure sign of a bad cook in Denmark! Add the vanilla. While still hot
pour into a glass bowl. When it begins to stiffen decorate the surface
with a pattern of blanched almonds. Serve with sugar and cream.

Her Time Life International Cookbooks yield something a bit more
manageable, to me, at least. Written for Americans, and some years
later. *G*

Rodgrod med Flode

1 1/2 lbs of fresh raspberries of strawberries, or a combination of the
two (or substitute 2 10 oz packages of frozen berries)
2 T sugar
2 T arrowroot powder
1/4 c cold water
slivered almonds
1/2 c light cream

Remove any hulls from the fresh berries, wash the berries quickly in a
sieve, drain and spread them out on paper towels, and pat them dry.
 Cut the larger berries into quarters and place them in the container of
an electric blender. Whirl at high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until they
are pureed. If you are using frozen berries, defrost them thoroughly,
then puree them in the blender, juices and all. To make the desert by
hand, rub the contents of the packages, or the fresh berries, through a
fine sieve set over a large mixing bowl. Place the berry puree (which
should measure about 2 1/3 cups) in a 1 - to 1 1/2- quart  enameled or
stainless steel saucepan and stir in the sugar. Mix the 2 Tablespoons of
arrowroot and the cold water to a smooth paste, and stir it into the
pan. Let the mixture come to a simmer to thicken the jelly (do not let
it boil), then remove the pan from the heat.

Pour into individual dessert bowls or a large serving bowl. Chill for at
least 2 hours. Before serving the rodgrod, decorate the top with a few
slivered almonds and pass a pitcher of light cream separately.

************

This says light cream, but my memories of Mom's descriptions suggest
that it might be heavy cream... She said heavy cream and/or whipped
cream were in almost everything.  This is a classic summer dessert,
considered one of the most typical Danish dishes. It is one of those
Traditional Dishes that everyone assumes has been made forever. I have
absolutely no idea how old it actually is. Thickeners, after all, may
well have changed... or may well have been original.

I think I have to go play with berries. I was just thinking I wanted to
find more fruit desserts...

Anne