[Sca-cooks] Face it- we're ALL Ruled by Cooks!

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 13:15:29 PDT 2002

on 5/29/02 9:51 AM, Christine Seelye-King at kingstaste at mindspring.com
wrote:

> Well, I got my AoA in 81, my Pel in 93, and my Laurel in 2000.  But then, I
> was not an associate to anybody, so my times are probably on the long side.
> (However, my late husband Knikolos made the unfortunate mistake - for his
> SCA career, anyway - to move from Trimaris to Meridies after 6 years as a
> protege, and it took another 6 for him to be elevated in Meridies.  12 years
> seemed like an extremely long time to us.)

    Well, average SCA wide, for a 36 year period, from initial AoA to
initial Pelican is 7.83 years, and for a Laurel 6.03 years.   (AoA to
KSCA/MSCA is 4.03 years.)   Howeverm the averages have been going up.   In
the 1990-1999 period, it was 9.28 years for Pelicans, 7.52 for Laurels, and
5.49 years for KSCA/MSCA.

    However, these are averages, and there are always people at different
ends of that bell curve.    For example, using Caid as an example, the
fastest amount of time between 1990-99 from AoA to Pelican was 3 years.
Slowest was 26 years.   Which made an average of 10.30 years.

    One problem in my research is that I have no way to tell time from
initial activity in the SCA to AoA-level award.    In my personal case, I
became active in 1982, went inactive in 1993, and became active again in
1998  In that time period I held various positions, did a wide variety of
activities, (including battlefield Chirurgeon in Charge for four wars), and
generally volunteered for anything I could do.     I received my only award
to date, an AoA, in 2000.     If I was so honored as to receive a Pelican in
2008, it would show 8 years between my AoA and the Pelican, but that
wouldn't show the 13 years that I was active before the AoA.

    So, yes, 12 years might seem a long time.   Problem with statistics is
that some people have to be on each end of the curve.  However, that being
said, I'm sure the time didn't diminish the joy you had upon receiving your
peerages - or seeing your late husband receive his.

    - Padraig o Connell, (who really needs to expand his research to count
the percentages of double and triple peers.)