[Sca-cooks] Also LONG-fixing funny characters

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed May 29 14:07:07 PDT 2002

Serena da Riva commented:
I thought I had taken care of that, I am fairly computer illiterate so I
changed the format from one thing back to the other and then back again to
make sure it was plain text. I thought that had fixed it. As far as
converting to ASCII in the HTML - ha ha ha, I web design using the point and
click method, you might as well told me to take the cream cake to the gnomes
to have it repainted. I'll ask my computer guru about it when he gets home.

=FE is a  thorn
--------------------

Thank you for this one. This is one I don't have on my secret
decoder table (TM). What is the best way to indicate this
character using standard ASCII characters? "(th)", perhaps?

--------------
I am terribly sorry for the confusion, if I knew how to fix it then I most
definitly would.
-------------

I am continually having to deal with this problem because of my
steal.. er borrowing of stuff for the Florilegium. Which is where I
also ran into problems with your menu and recipes. It is much easier
to work with the text you posted here than downloading the bits and
pieces from the multiple pages on the webpage you gave.

The easiest way to solve this problem, although not as easy as simply
copying and pasting, it to write the original Word file as a text
file. Then close the file you that is still on the screen. Then open
it again and select the portion you want and copy and paste that.

You lose any fancy formating and underlining and such, but if you
are going to post it to a list such as this you will lose that
anyway.

This method also solves the problem of those pesky "magic" double
and single quotes that show up in Word. You can turn these and the
use of single character fraction symbols off in *some* versions of
Word (and I recommend doing it if you can) but this is not allowed
in all versions. Afterall, Microsoft knows better than you, what
you really want to do. :-(

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net