[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Crown Tourney/Long

Lynn Hunter rohanna1 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 06:42:06 PST 2002

We fed 'em into submission!  Two feasts, no waiting.  (204 served....)

The fighters LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the meat terrines in the first course. (I
cooked all day, then served feast. One feaster asked "What kind of meat is
in these terrines."  My answer "Yes."  I did elaborate.)  We had MAYBE one
8x8 pan of armoured turnips leftover, about 1/2 a dish of Savoury Toasted
Cheese over brocolli, and surprsingly about 1.5 herbed pork roasts returned.

Olwen and Freidis (daughter MOrningstar) made a soteltie - a FULL SIZED
CROWN AND SWORD.  The Crown was made from a combination of marzipan (what?
You didn't guess that?) and sugarplate.  the 'blade' was painted with edible
silver, and the hilt with edible gold and sapphire jewels'.

Freidis painted the crown with the gold, and high lighted the top with
"pearls" which I believe (but I could be wrong) were silver dragees.  It was
presented to their Majesties Cuan and Padraig on a velvet pillow (cardboard
box coverd un velvet, trimmed with gold lace).  His Majesty after a few
moments in absolute astonishment just contemplating the presentation, picked
up the crown and held it slightly above his head.  Her majesty picked up the
sword and dubbed him "Sir Loin of Beef".  (I think Olwen has pictures of
this.)

The King then broke a piece off his crown, and after offering some to high
table, sent it out to be distributed among the populace.

Lady Cordelia fitzRobert of York, who was the founding Guildmistress of the
BHCG, was called into court and rceived her Pearl.  Of course the cooks all
rushed out and went generally berserk.  Then we rushed back into the kitchen
to begin working again.  Then Morningstar/Freidis was called and after 12
years of service (she started off at about 9!) received an AoA.  Out, cheer,
in.  Alainne d'Ancienns, Wynne ferch Rhodri, Aiofe ighean Roibard (7 years
waiting), and Roana de Laci.  Lady Cordelia laughed thru her tears as she
said we should announce "Due to a sudden onsluaght of ennoblements, dinner
will be delayed by 1/2 hour."

We fed 'em on time, hot food hot, cold food cold, with dedicated servers,
entertainment and entrements between courses, and I didn't even hum "Try a
Little Priest" as I served my tables their meat terrines...

LADY Roana de Laci
Bright Hills Cooks Guild
Clan White Wing

PS WRITE those letters of recommendation.  They work!  That was my summer
project, continuing on into the fall and winter - to get people a simple
'Thank You' for the service they do.  So they don't wait 20 years, as did
our Lady Devra...

Ro,
Baronial Busybody  (is that an Officer's rank?)